The airspace management is conducted at international and national level through participation in regular working meetings, organized by ICAO, EUROCONTROL, DG CAA or the aviation operators. On the basis of the decisions taken at those meetings, the ASM department develops draft changes in the design of the airspace of the Republic of Bulgaria and submits them to DG CAA for approval and implementation at national level. The proposals for changes are prepared in accordance with the national requirements, ICAO Doc. 8168 for Construction of Visual and Instrument Flight Procedures, the Airspace Planning Manual of EUROCONTROL, etc.
Flexible Use of Airspace (FUA)
The FUA concept is implemented in the Republic of Bulgaria in 1999. The FUA main objective is to improve the performance of the airspace use, while taking account of all civil and military users.
The FUA concept is based on three interconnected levels of civil-military coordination with regard to airspace organization:
- Strategic level 1;
- Pre-tactical level 2;
- Tactical level 3.
The FUA strategic level is conducted by a Civil-Military Council for ASM (CMCA), which in times of peace is chaired by the Minister of Transport and in times of war – by the Minister of Defence.
The main CMCA tasks include the formation of a state policy for strategic planning and distribution of the airspace, defining of the flexible structures of the airspace, assigning rules and procedures for negotiations at pre-tactical level, rules for coordination between the civil and military ATM bodies at tactical level, etc.
The Airspace Planning and Distribution Centre (APDC) is a continuously acting, civil-military CMCA body, implementing the activities at pre-tactical level.
The Coordination Centre for Airspace Use (CCAU) is currently the main body at tactical level 3.
The CCAU tasks are related to:
- Activation and deactivation of the temporary segregated, restricted and dangerous areas and conditional routes, according to the approved daily plan for airspace use;
- Designation of areas with reduced ATM coordination;
- Conduction of coordination in the cases of joint use of the airspace.
Airspace Planning and Distribution Centre (APDC)
The unified system for civil and military ATM consists of three levels:
- Strategic (level 1). The strategic level is conducted by the Civil-Military Council for ASM (CMCA).
- Pre-tactical (level 2). The pre-tactical level is conducted by the Airspace Planning and Distribution Centre (APDC).
- Tactial (level 3). The tactical level is conducted by the civil and military ATM bodies.
APDC main tasks
- Distributes the airspace among users, taking into account the defined by the CMCA priorities;
- Determines the use of temporary segregated areas and conditional routes;
- Produces and announces the plan for airspace use for the next day (24 hours).